WHAT IS GUM DISEASE? (Referred to as periodontics)
How our Periodontal treatment can help?
Dr. Christopher Rooney has focused his practice on helping people with multiple dental problems become healthy again. Most gum disease problems are not painful and often go unnoticed until advanced disease has developed. Often there can be other oral issues impacting the problem.
Gum Disease can be avoided
Unhealthy gums are a red flag; they can be a warning sign of future tooth loss and the potential for heart disease and stroke. One out of every two American adults aged 30 and over has periodontal (gum) disease, according to recent findings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Patients can prevent gum disease by simply practicing good dental hygiene and attending routine checkups with Dr. Rooney and the caring professionals on his team.
Without proper cleanings and regular flossing, plaque and tartar buildup can allow bacteria and disease to flourish in our mouths, especially within the gums. At Convergent Dentistry, it is our goal to eliminate the potential for gingivitis and gum disease with customized oral hygiene treatment plans that include risk assessment, cleanings, gum pocket measurement, and thorough gum tissue examination.
Warning signs of Gum Disease:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away
- Gums that bleed when you brush or floss
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Gums that have pulled away from your teeth
- Pus between your teeth and gums
- A change in the fit of partial dentures
Untreated gum infections can lead to:
- Gum recession
- Bleeding gums
- Tooth movement
- Tooth loss
- Risks to your overall health
Routine checkups are vital to early detection, treatment, and control of these common dental health concerns.
How Can You Prevent Periodontal Disease?
- Brush your teeth twice each day
- Floss daily to remove food and plaque fom areas your toothbrush can’t reach
- Eat a healthy diet and limit snacks
- Have a dental cleaning every 6 months
These things can increase your risk for Periodontal Disease:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Genes may play a role, if you have a family history of gum disease, be extra alert for changes in your gums
- Diseases, such as diabetes, that lowers your body’s resistance to infection
- Many medications, such as steroids and blood pressure drugs, can affect your gums
- Teens, pregnant women and those taking birth control pills and are experiencing changes in their hormone levels
If risks are detected during your dental exam, Dr. Rooney will recommend the appropriate treatment to get your periodontal health back on track. Periodontal care may include deep cleaning (scaling and root planing) and the application of antibiotics to eliminate disease.
Your Questions Answered
At Convergent Dentistry, we understand that you may have questions about gum disease and its impact on your overall oral health. There may be cosmetic concerns like exposed teeth roots, gummy excess when smiling, loose or missing teeth that could benefit from oral plastic surgical intervention.
Whatever your concerns, we will take the time to help you understand all the options, customize a plan that meets your goals and review the best way to address your needs.
Untreated gum problems can escalate all too quickly. Unsightly issues and foul odor need not be a daily concern, so don't put off a visit to Convergent Dentistry. Call us today to schedule an appointment or see us for a no-charge consult to see how our integrated solutions can help you with your problem(s) in one time and place. We are just a phone call away.
At Convergent Dentistry, our approach is focused on fewer visits, less trauma and addresses all issues with greater comfort to best solve gum tissue problems. Untreated gum problems can escalate all too quickly. Unsightly issues and foul odor need not be a daily concern, so don't put off a visit to Convergent Dentistry in Leawood, Kansas. Call us today to schedule an appointment or see us for a no-charge consult to see how our integrated solutions can help you with your problem(s) in one time and place. We are just a phone call away.